Summer is here, and you know what that means…protective styles! Although we agree that you can never go wrong with some box braids that channel Janet in Poetic Justice, our natural hair crushes have inspired us to go the extra mile. Queens like Issa Rae, Yara Shahidi, and Solange make natural hair look so good, we’re almost happy for 80% humidity…almost.
With summer ushering in warm temperatures and good vibes, what better time than now to experiment? Here are our top five favorite styles that have us anxious to get into the salon.
1. Everything that this is. This is the pinnacle of hair styles. Issa Rae’s hair stylist, Felecia Leatherwood, is clearly an angel sent from the natural hair gods to bless us with her talents. The braids, texture, color, shine, jewelry, symmetry, etc. in this style is EV-ERY-THING.
2. A full ponytail. To her credit, Tracee Ellis Ross can do no harm in the hair realm, but we love a good long and full pony. This look is one of the easiest styles on this list to achieve at home. Watch a tutorial here.
3. Classic box braids. Although box braids have been a protective styling staple since we can remember. They’re a classic and will never get old. If you’re tired of getting the same braids summer after summer, switch it up and get some sultry waist length braids like Jhené Aiko.
4. Cornrows. Despite the recent hype of this other protective styling staple, we still love cornrows. The way these braids accentuate facial features and highlight the person wearing them makes this a beautiful style that we think anyone can pull off. Add a twist to this classic by incorporating jewelry such as beads and hoops.
5. Fun colors. To avoid damaging your own locks, we recommend purchasing a wig and experimenting with color. Summer is a great time to debut a new look, so take a look at this video for inspiration.